MODEL

Monday, December 8, 2008

Jesse Randhawa: Danseuse, Gourmet and Humanist







India's Supermodel talks to Shaaditimes on life, love, and...




India's Supermodel talks to Shaaditimes on life, love, and dance.

Jesse Randhawa wouldn't mind dating Jet Li although she's seeing Bollywood choreographer Sandip Sopparkar and both are good-looking, amazing martial arts experts, and wonderful human-beings. Both Jesse and Sandip (a professional Latin American dancer) are famous for their dance sizzle and panache and will launch pop icon Madonna's big 50-birthday party with a waltz.



It is believed that the party will open with their performance at an exclusive country estate in England. Hailed as the event of the year, the guest list includes international luminaries and movers and shakers including: Gwyneth Paltrow, Stella McCarney, Britney Spears and Justin Timerlake. Also invited are the Maharaja of Jaipur and the Royal Family of Neemrana Palace and officials of the Malawian government.



If not salsa it's films and modeling for one of India's most successful supermodels and Bollywood actress. Described by designers as the synthesis of beauty, brains and passion, she stands at a statuesque and willowy 5 ft 10 inches in height and epitomizes the look of a generation of Indian woman. Considered a style icon amongst her contemporaries, fashionistas, divas and young Indian girls throughout India, she exudes an extraordinary mix of modern and classism. Jesse was one of the first models to crop her hair to the nape along with Ruby Bhatia in the early 90's.

This Femina Miss India 94' alumnus and 2nd runner-up in the Ford Supermodel India 1994 Pageant has seen her career graph steadily climb in the past decade. After notching an enviable and admirable 5th place in one of the most glorious pageants in Femina history where today's Bollywood superstars, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan placed second to Sushmita Sen (later Miss Universe 94'), Jesse has definitely created her own style and aura. She has just completed Anurag Kashyap's forthcoming film Gulal, and is adding finishing touches to a political thriller Chot.

Shaaditimes caught up with star during her hectic schedule as she prepares for the Madonna party and a Manish Malhotra fashion show.




Did she know then she would rule India's ramp for over decade?
"No, I really didn't think I would survive so long," she says and clarifies, "I don't think its just physical beauty though it is an important part of modeling. A top model also has to be alert, current and intelligent," she believes. A Jaipuri punjaban, Jesse, studied at the Maharani Gayatri Devi College in Jaipur where she obtained a degree in Arts.

According to Jesse her parents have been her most vocal supporters.
"My father is no more and was once in the Navy and my mother stays with me in Mumbai." Modeling to her is more than work. "It absorbs me and challenges me to be my best." A humanist Jesse can be seen as the force behind serious causes such as cruelty to animals. She also enjoys being a gourmet. "I just made besan ke ladoos today," she says. On her down time when she's not sashaying down the ramp she enjoys music. "I am musical. I tried playing the flute and I love to dance."

A salsa enthusiast in large part to choreographer Sandip Sopparkar, Jesse says, "It's a discipline which allows you to create and to keep fit. I love any type of dancing and enjoyed dancing at raves as a teenager."



What does she love the most about Sandip?
"As a teacher he listens to you. He makes you pay attention to your posture and always listens to your point of view." She adds, "His most important quality is his ability to forget and forgive. He is good to most everyone in his life."

Has she been compared to anyone in the industry or in Hollywood?
"I have been compared to Halle Berry," she laughs. "Although I don't believe there is a resemblance. I don't like to admire or copy anyone. I think it's better to be yourself. Also I think it's the hair. I cut my locks on the recommendation of Fashion Designer Jatin Kochar. It was during Femina Miss India (1994) and he suggested it would give me a totally different look and a chance to get noticed. And I think it worked."



Is her physique God's gift?
"I am naturally tall and lean though I believe everyone has to take care of their metabolism. My heredity allows me not to have to worry so much about consuming calories, but I feel one needs to exercise to stay toned and fit. I think it's most important for each woman to understand her own body and try to optimize her physique to look her best."

Her close friends include fellow models, Sheetal Mallar and Kiran Rao. "We enjoy traveling together." They have enjoyed treks in the forests and Kashmir. Her favorite designer is Gavin Miguel. "I love his gowns and wear them when I dance." Also on the list are awarding winning designers Wendell Roddericks and Rohit Verma. "They have simple and flowing cuts and shapes in their garments." Jesse will be wearing Wendell Roddericks at the ritzy Madonna celebration.

adf.ly

trafficrevenue

Popular Posts

amung.us